"Firsts Things First - Celebrating Springfield"
First Things First . . . Celebrating Springfield
We're calling your attention to our city's legacy of innovation through a series of events that will help create an awareness of Springfield's many historic attractions. We want to generate some spirit and a sense of pride in our great city, as well as encourage visitors to come see why we're celebrating. This is an open invitation to explore and rediscover Springfield.
Watch for upcoming events in the city at the Connecticut Valley Historical Museum, Springfield Armory and much, much more!
SPRINGFIELD, MA IS THE CITY OF 50 FIRSTS. . .
- Springfield in the United States
- Banned Book in the Americas
- Dr. Seuss' "Cat in the Hat"
- Basketball's Birthplace
- American-made Automobile
- Telephone Party Line
- Campfire Girls Founded
- Witch Trial - Initial Proceedings
- Thornton W. Burgess' Peter Cottontail
- Clarence Birdseye's Frozen Foods
- Indian Motorcycle - Gas Powered Motorcycle
- Board Game - The Checkered Game of Life
- Duryea Car - Commercially Sold Automobile
- Ted Shawn Male Dancers
- Largest U.S. Gun Maker - Smith & Wesson
- Goodyear's Pliable Rubber Tires
- Whistler's Father Built N.E. Railroads
- "Good Housekeeping Magazine" Founded
- Mass Mutual Insurance - Top 10 in U.S.
- The Armory - Miltary Arsenal
- Adjustable "Monkey" wrench
- Blanchard's Assembly Line
- Name of the Republican Party Given
- Publication of Emily Dickinson Poems
- Postcards Manufactured
- Envelopes Manufactured
- Friction Matches Patented
- Fastened Ice Skates
- Dog Show in the United States
- Motorized Fire Wagon
- Helen Hayes' Theatrical Debut
- Junior Achievement Founded
- Merriam-Webster Dictionary Published
- Planetarium - U.S. Designed and Built
- Rolls Royce American Plant
- Adult Education in the United States
- YMCA Training School
- Commercial Radio Station
- UHF Television Station
- Gee Bee Monoplane Built
- Parking Meter in the United States
- Railroad Sleeping Cars
- Meat-Packing Industry
- Springfield Rifle
- Garand Rifle
- The Musket
- Repeating Pistol
- Semi-automatic Rifle
- Motorized Tractors
- Electric Sewing Machine Needle
Have we missed any firsts or made mistakes?
We want to hear from you! Thanks very much.
Sponsors: Springfield Parks & Recreation and paid for by the Mass. Turnpike Authority Tourism Grant.
For more information call 413-787-6435