Trees will be collected on residents recycling day. Each address will have two opportunities to have their trees collected. Trees must have all decorations removed and must be placed in an accessible location on the tree belt – not wrapped in any plastic bags. Christmas tress that are covered in snow and buried in snow banks will not be collected. Please make sure that they are accessible for the DPW crews. There will be no collection of Christmas trees after January 27, 2023.
Residents can also drop off their tress at Bondi’s Island at no charge. For more information, please call (413) 787-7840.
In addition, below are the DO's and DON'Ts for holiday trash and recycling:
Please DO include the following items in your Single Stream recycling mix:
- corrugated cardboard boxes. Flatten and tie in 3’ x3’ bundles, no tape. No waxed cardboard.
- paperboard gift boxes
- greeting cards (except those with foil, metallic inks, or glitter)
- gift wrap, gift bags, tissue wrap (except those with foil, metallic inks, or glitter).
- paper shopping bags (any type of handle is okay).
- newspapers/ inserts, magazines/catalogs
- -paperbacks & phone books.
- junk mail – windowed envelopes are OK.
- white and colored paper, computer paper, shredded paper – place in paper bags.
- all plastic bottles, jars, tubs and plastic microwave trays/containers under 2 gallons in size
- glass bottles/jars, all colors and sizes – Please remove and discard all caps
- aluminum, tin/steel cans and lids and aluminum foil
Please DO NOT include the following items in your recycling mix:
- ribbons, bows, and tinsel.
- packing peanuts and Styrofoam
- holiday lights
- paint or aerosol cans or other metal items
- broken or other glass such as light bulbs, window - auto glass, dishes, glasses, Pyrex, ceramics
- no plastic grocery/newspaper bags
- containers over 2 gallons in size, motor oil, chemical or foam containers or flower pots
- pizza boxes
- used paper plates, cups, napkins, toilet tissue
For additional information on collection days residents can call the City’s 311 Call Center at (413) 736-3111.