October 14, 2009 - The City of Springfield has set a deadline of November 1, 2009 for property owners and banks or mortgage companies to register vacant or foreclosing properties with the City. <link fileadmin forms full_registration_packet.pdf download>Registration forms and information are available from the City’s website (http://www.springfield-ma.gov/code/forms.html) or by calling 3-1-1 (413-736-3111 from outside Springfield).
The recently adopted Vacant and Foreclosing Property Registration ordinance requires that properties that are legally vacant or in the process of foreclosure be registered annually. Vacant properties must be registered by the property owner if they have been legally vacant for 60 days or more. Banks and mortgage companies must register properties, vacant or occupied, if they have begun foreclosure proceedings (including delivering a mortgagee’s intent to foreclose).
To be in compliance with this ordinance, registering individuals or organizations must:
- Return a completed <link fileadmin forms full_registration_packet.pdf download>registration form and a $100 registration fee (via check or money order, cash will not be accepted) to the City of Springfield, Building Department, 70 Tapley Street, Springfield, MA 01104.
- If the property is vacant, identify a local property manager (within 30 miles of the property) who will be responsible for maintenance of the property.
- Properly board and secure a vacant property.
- Maintain the property in accordance with all applicable codes, including keeping the property clean of rubbish, trash, overgrowth, and debris.
- Inspect and maintain the property on a weekly basis.
- If the property is vacant, post on the property, in a manner visible from the street, the 24-hour contact information of the property manager.
Owners and foreclosing institutions who fail to register properties subject to this ordinance may be fined up to $300 per week until a registration is received or the property is no longer vacant or foreclosing.
For more information or to receive registration forms, please call 3-1-1 or 413-736-3111 when outside Springfield.
<link fileadmin forms full_registration_packet.pdf download>Download the Vacant and Foreclosing Properties registration packet (form and instructions)