Voter Registration FAQ'S

Who may register to vote in Springfield?

You may register to vote in Springfield if you are a U.S citizen, a resident of Springfield, will be at least 18 years old on or before Election Day, not have been convicted of corrupt practices in respect to elections, not be currently  incarcerated for a felony conviction.

Can I register for a friend, family member, or another individual?

No, this is prohibited under state law.

Where do I register?

The following options are available to register to vote. You can register:

  • At the Election Commission Office Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 4:00pm and special office hours.
  • By Mail-in Registration Form. Forms are available at the Election Office, local libraries, neighborhood community councils, and many other locations.  Fill out the form and mail it back to the Election Office.  To have a Registration form mailed to you, you can fill out the request form.  Or you can call (413)787-6190.

Can I register if I am homeless?

Homeless persons can use a shelter address or their prior address in Springfield if that was the last place of residency.  You can also vote from a location by using the diagram on the mail in registration form.

Is identification required to register to vote?

When you register, you must include your driver's license number or the last four digits of your social security number on the application.  If the information cannot be verified or you do not provide this information, you must provide identification at your polling location when you go to vote.  Sufficient identification includes a copy of current and valid photo identification, current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government document showing your name and address.

How do I change my political party?

Send correspondence stating it is "signed under the penalty of perjury" to the Election office with your request to change party affiliation, including what you would like your new affiliation to be.  Voters who wish to change their party status may also use mail-in registration forms.

How do I change my address for voting?

If moving to another city or town, re-registration is required if you wish to remain a voter.  If moving within the City of Springfield, send signed correspondence to the Election office stating your new address along with your former address.  Mail-In registration forms may also be used to inform the Election office of the new address.

How do I change my name for voting?

Send signed correspondence to the Election office informing the Commission of the name change.  Be sure to include both your former name and new name.  Mail-In registration forms can also be used to inform the Commission of a name change.

When is the Election Commission Office open to the public?

We are normally open during the following hours: Monday through Friday from 9:00am until 4:00pm.  We are open on certain special days and certain special hours to accomodate voter registration deadlines and absentee voting.  See Election Calender for special hours.


When am I registered to vote?

You are registered to vote on the day you register in person at an official designated office or the postmark date on a mail-in registration form.  You must register to vote 20 days before an election to vote in that election.  You should receive an acknowledgment notice within two to three weeks after you register.  If you do not receive your acknowledgment notice, contact the Election Commission.


How may I verify that I am registered?

You may contact the Election Commission at (413) 787-6190 or on our Check Voter Status page.

What is my ward and precinct?

The ward and precinct determines where residents vote and in which elective district citizens reside.  When you register to vote, the acknowledgment notice you receive includes your ward,precinct and polling location.  The staff can also provide information about elective districts,  your current elected officials and names of candidates in election seasons.

When can I register?

Eligible persons can register at any time during the Election Office's hours of operation or when outside sessions are conducted.  Registration by mail can be done at any time.


Is there a deadline to register?

One may register to vote at any time.  However, the deadline to register for any given election is ten days prior to that election. 

What is my polling location?

Your polling location is where you vote.  You may click this link to see your polling location.  Your ward and precinct will determine your polling location.  You may also call the Election Commission at (413) 787-6190.

How do I stay on the voting list?

Answering the city census each year ensures that your name will remain on the voting list once you have registered.  If you move within the city, inform the Election Commission in writing about your change of address (see "How do I change my address for voting?").  If you were previously registered in another city or town, re-registration from the new address is necessary.  You may also inform the Commission if your name changes and if you wish to change it for the voting list. 

How can my group or organization request voter registration forms in bulk?

Call the Elections Division at 1-800-462-VOTE or 617-727-2828

Page last updated:  Thursday, May 18, 2017 11:01 am