The City offers a wide selection of health plans for you and your family to choose from through the State of Massachusetts Group Insurance Commission (GIC). Please view the FY24 Benefits Guide and City of Springfield Rate Sheet prior to choosing your plan.
The City contributes 75% of the cost of the Health Plan for both individual and family coverage. New employee health coverage begins on the first day of the month following 60 calendar days from the first date of employment, or two calendar months, whichever comes first:
|Date of hire is between:
|Health coverage begins on:
|Paycheck deductions begin:
|January 2 - February 1
|February 2 - March 2
|March 3 - April 2
|April 3 - May 2
|May 3 - June 2
|June 3 - July 3
|July 4 - August 2
|August 3 - September 2
|September 3 - October 2
|October 3 - November 2
|November 3 - December 3
|December 4 - January 1
|Yearly Open Enrollment
*You must enroll in a plan or decline coverage within the first 10 days of your employment!
If You Want Health Insurance Coverage through The City:
New to the City of Springfield is MyGICLink! This allows you to complete your GIC Health Insurance Enrollment Online, attach any required documents and digitally sign the form. Once you press finish it will be returned to the Benefits Department for review and submission to the GIC. If you would like to use MyGICLink, please send an email to email@example.com or if you are a new employee with the City or Springfield Public Schools email to firstname.lastname@example.org and the secure link will be promptly emailed to you.
1. Complete the Form-1MUN.
2. Include copies of a marriage certificate for your spouse and birth certificates for your children.
3. If your child is between 19 and 26, complete the Dependent Form.
4. Include divorce decrees or court orders if required.
Be sure to read your FY24 Benefits Guide for annual enrollment details (FY24 Guide shown). Do your homework during annual enrollment, even if you don't plan to make any changes:
- Review the FY24 Benefits Guide and the Springfield Rate Sheet for benefit and rate changes effective July 1, 2023.
- Consider enrolling in a limited network plan to save money every month on your premiums. These plans have the same benefits as the wider network plans, but save money because they have fewer physicians, hospitals, and other providers.
- Contact the plans to find out if your doctors and hospitals still participate in your plan. Specify the plan's full name, such as Harvard Pilgrim Primary Choice Plan or Harvard Pilgrim Independence Plan, not just Harvard Pilgrim.
- Check on copay tier assignments that affect what you pay when you get physician or hospital services. Copay tiers can change each July 1 with new data.
Your GIC Benefit Decision Guide is an overview of GIC benefits; it is not a comprehensive plan handbook. There may be other services that you and your family need. Contact each plan to find out details about those benefits.
Keep in mind! Once you choose a health plan, you cannot change plans during the year, unless you move out of the plan's service area. If your doctor or hospital leaves your health plan, you must find a new participating provider in your chosen plan.
If you have questions or need forms, contact us via email at email@example.com or call 413-787-6055. If you are a New Employee with the City of Springfield or Springfield Public Schools, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.