Cadet Training Program
What is the Cadet Program?
The Springfield Police Department Cadet Program is an on the job training program for individuals interested in a career in law enforcement. Cadet candidates must pass a qualifying examination to be eligible to be accepted into the cadet program.
Who is Eligible?
- Young men and women are eligible for appointment if they:
- Are between 17 1/2 and 21 1/2 years of age.
- Are citizens of the United States.
- Reside in the City of Springfield.
- Are licensed drivers by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- High School graduate, or an official letter indicating graduation at end of the current year, or possess an equivalency certificate,
- Once appointed as Police Cadet, must enroll or continue in completing a 2 year course of study in Criminal Justice at an accredited college. Must be of good moral character with no felony convictions.
- Must be able to work full time on any shift
- Must pass ‘Initial Hire’ state physical requirements and state medical requirements necessary for appointment to a Police Officer position.
Cadets perform a variety of routine duties some of which are:
- Clerical and Administrative duties.
- Record Daily Reports.
- Assist with Fingerprinting.
- Process Arrests, Restraining Orders, and City Tows.
In short, cadets perform all department administrative functions except those that require actual police powers and authority.
Benefits of the Program
Along with specialized cadet training, benefits of the program include:
- Paid Vacation
- Holiday and Sick Leave Provisions
- Uniforms Provided
- Flexible work schedule
Police cadet who have completed at least three years of service and have obtained an Associates Degree in Law Enforcement and/or Criminal Justice, and meet the requirements are eligible for an appointment the Springfield Police Department as a Police Officer.
How to Apply?
Please contact the Training Division, Sgt. E. Barbieri, about the Cadet Training Program, at telephone 413-787-6378.
MINIMUM CRITERIA FOR APPLYING TO TAKE THE EXAMINATION:
1) Resident of the City of Springfield, Ma. at the time of hire.
2) Citizen of the United States of America.
3) Must be between the ages of 17 1/2 and 21 1/2 years of age on the date of the examination.
4) Be of good moral character, without any felony criminal convictions.
5) Present a high school diploma or school counselor letter stating that the applicant will be graduating at the end of the current school year.
6) Must be licensed to operate a motor vehicle in the Commonwealth prior to being appointed.
7) Must be able to work full time when appointed to the cadet program.
8) Must be capable of passing a physical examination equal to that necessary for appointment as a police officer in the Commonwealth.
9) Must enroll in a college program and be awarded an associate degree in law enforcement or criminal justice or equivalent number of credits awarded in a four year program before completion of the cadet program.
THE CITY OF SPRINGFIELD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER