Step 1: Verify that you satisfy the minimum criteria noted below.
- Resident of the City of Springfield, Ma. at the time of hire.
- Citizen of the United States of America.
- Must be between the ages of 17 ½ and 23 years of age on the date of the examination.
- Be of good moral character, without any felony or serious misdemeanor convictions.
- Present a high school diploma or school counselor letter stating that the applicant will be graduating at the end of the current year.
- Must be licensed to operate a motor vehicle in the Commonwealth prior to being appointed.
- Must be capable of passing a physical examination equal to that necessary for appointment as a Police Officer in the Commonwealth.
- Must enroll in a college program and be awarded an Associate Degree in Law Enforcement or Criminal Justice or equivalent number of credits awarded in a four year program before completion of the Cadet Program.
Step 2: Fill in the Cadet Exam Registration Form, and select the Register for Exam button on the form.
- Refer to the Instructions to Complete the Cadet Registration Form.
- Please do NOT use your Browser to fill up this form, use the free Adobe Acrobat Reader. Try to save the file by right click on the link and clisk "save as".
- Alternatively, if you encounter problems, save the form file to your local drive on your computer, appending your LASTNAME-FIRSTNAME to the file name. Example file name for Jane Smith: CADET-EXAM-REG-FORM-2019-SMITH-JANE.pdf. Fill in the form and save your changes. Use your preferred email application, attach the file, and send it to spdhr@SpringfieldPolice.net .
- If you encounter problems with the process, please send an email message to spdhr@SpringfieldPolice.net .
Step 3: Review the Cadet Study Guide
- Please Note: The study guide is just used to study for the test. It only has 23 sample questions and answers. The questions on the test will be similar to the sample questions, but will not be the same questions.
Step 4: Frequently monitor your email inbox for further instructions. All further communications from the Springfield Police Department will be by email.
THE CITY OF SPRINGFIELD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER