The Community Nurses provide population based health services to the residents of Springfield. The nurses promote and protect health using knowledge from the nursing, social and public health sciences. Their work is best viewed through the lens of wellness – health promotion and disease prevention to early diagnosis to prevent/or limit disability. Our nurses partner with Community Based Organizations, Newcomer Populations and Others to reduce health risks and to promote, maintain, and restore health in addition to advocating for system-level policy changes.
Ongoing programs and initiatives focus on:
- Identifying current health risks and prevention strategies.
- Monitoring local cases of tuberculosis and other communicable diseases.
- Providing vaccines and immunizations.
- Monitoring maternal, child, and family health issues.
- Serving as a liaison between the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, other governmental health agencies and our residents.
- Helping individuals, families and institutions prepare for public health emergencies.