SPRINGFIELD, MA – Mayor Domenic J. Sarno states in response to a City Council resolution – No, I will not be issuing a letter of consent to the White House, U.S. Department of State, The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security in support of continuing refugee resettlements here in Springfield.
Mayor Sarno states my position has been very clear on this issue:
- The City of Springfield has done more than its fair share.
- It makes no sense according to a recent Boston Federal Reserve report regarding Springfield “you can not continue to concentrate poverty on top of poverty.”
- It places an unfair burden on our school department and other city services and therefore on our taxpayers.
- I’ve called into question the accountability and follow through aspects of refugee agencies, who not too long ago placed a number of refugees in condemned housing units.
- It’s time that surrounding communities step-up and do their fair share.